Monday, July 31, 2006

Tough Pass

Views from Sherman Pass.






After crossing the Columbia River I tackled Sherman Pass. The climb was 22 miles and turned out to be the toughest climb of the 6 passes on my route. The temperature was hot without a cloud in the sky. I peddled the first 3 miles without stopping. I was spent. From there I peddled anywhere from one-half mile to a mile and then rested 5-10 minutes.

Somewhere in the middle of the climb I became so tired and forgot how many miles I had peddled on the climb so I started to keep track from that point. I had also lost track of where I was at on the map.

I'd peddled 8 miles from where I lost track of my mileage...The top of this monster had to be near. I was exhausted and had to stop. I placed my bicycle against a guard-rail and sat on the side of the road for nearly an hour. I ate a few snacks and played with my camera...Anything to get my mind off of the task at hand.

Once my heart rate became normal (I considered normal when I wasn't gasping for air) I started the climb again. As it turned out the peak was only 1 mile away. It was a tough mile. When I reached the top I felt the same as I did when I had to rest a mile back.

At the top there was a campground which consisted of a place to pitch a tent and a picnic table. There were no restrooms or water. Although there was a 15 mile downhill waiting for me I was too tired to continue. I was about to pitch my giant, 3 person tent but decided to wait. I laid on a picnic table for at least an hour. I may have fallen asleep. After resting I felt better and started the 15 mile downhill to Republic WA.

No comments: